Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Petey and the Pigtown Pop Up


Welcome to Hampden, Hon.


I headed to Flaunt for a fixer upper on Friday night before our friend arrived.



Flaunt is precious. Decorated with hot pink, chandeliers and birdies.



Lindsay is the owner. She said that if anyone comes in and mentions Stone Hill Farm, you will get 10% off all services.






She gave me beach hair for the weekend.






My sweet friend Petey came all the way from Madison, Wisconsin to visit. We took her to Rocket to Venus for our first outing in Baltimore. I hadn't seen her in 14 years. We were AXO's at Ripon together. She was a freshmen when I was a senior. Thanks to Facebook we have reconnected. She said she missed me. I told her that our door was always open. She bought some boots, then a plane ticket and was on her way to see us. We had the best time. It was so fun being with someone so real, so geniune and so open about her life. 



The harvest moon was in full blossom.



E. had Shrimp and Grits.



Petey had a Beet and Walnut Salad.



I had a Dirty Martini.



Hats and tats are big in Hampden.





We went to the Pigtown Pop Up at Housewerks on Saturday morning before the steeplechase.



Petey fell in love with this hand painted, vintage wallpaper. I think she is still kicking herself that she didn't bring a few rolls back. How cute are her boots?



E. was all over these pallets.



Meg's touch was everywhere. I'm assuming she made these flags.



I saw so many fun things.





Loved this King Charles too. There is a puppy theme on SHF as of late.



E. broke down and bought a pallet.






We got the one on the bottom. He is going to buff it up, wax it and add casters. It will be a coffee table for the Breezeway. 



I'm still coveting this rug for our living room. It was so fun to meet Meg from Pigtown  Designs in real life, even though she was super, super busy. I don't want to spoil her secret so won't post my photos of her as it will be far too big of a hint to her readers.




We had to take Petey to Spro too for the best latte in all the land.



We had the best time. The gimlets were flowing all weekend.




Sunday E. asked for something light for dinner. I made a goat cheese and spinach stuffed chicken breast from Everyday Food.  It's easy. Flatten your chicken breasts between two sheets of waxed paper. I use a rolling pin to do so. Liberally salt and pepper each side. I use tongs so I'm not washing my hands every five seconds. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.



Spread goat cheese onto the flattened breast. Room temperature goat cheese is easier to spread.



Layer a bunch of leaves of spinach (or arugula) on the top of the goat cheese.



Roll up and use toothpicks to secure. I used bamboo skewers. Big mistake. Toothpicks are so much better.



Salt and pepper again.



Sear on each side for 3 minutes, until slightly browned. Thanks for shooting the picture Petey!





Put in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.



We roasted a butternut squash for an hour with olive oil, salt and pepper at 350 degrees earlier.



Set a pretty table. I mixed my parents china with our new chocolate brown chargers. Use a salt cell and salt cell spoons. They are such a fun touch and you can monitor your salt easier than with a shaker. Send your linen napkins to the dry cleaner. It is worth it. Use your silver. Seriously. Why have such pretty stuff to use twice a year. I put our Francis the First in the dishwasher. Petey's Dad told her that setting a table creates ambiance. I agree. Go for it. Light candles and set the table.


Petey, we loved having you here. You are a joy to be around. Such a helpful guest and I'm glad we got to bond over so many discussions. I'm thrilled you have been cancer free for the last few years and loved hearing about how much you loved your dad, and how much you love your precious neice and nephew. Whoop, whoop Lyle girl...be one 'til I die!

4 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

Such a fun post! We had a great day for both the Flea and the horse races. Wish I could have spent more time with you.

Petey said...

Awe Nellie Gamble. . .I heart you! Whoop Whoop Lyle Girl :)

pve design said...

This post has way too much goodness - it deserves to be spread out over many posts. Beach hair for a week...I am so envious....Flaunt it!
How fun!
Love to sketch your stone hill- Please e-mail me some photos....
pve

Ella said...

What an inspiration for this weekend, I think we're gonna try to make the chicken - thing, because the whole family like both goat cheese and spinach.