Monday, September 27, 2010

The Legacy Chase at Shawan Downs


I went out to Shawan Downs early Friday morning to pick up our tickets.



It was a fabulous, foggy morning.


The fences go for miles. 


This is Hunt Country.


Saturday was beautiful and very hot. The Legacy Chase is a steeplechase at Shawan Downs out in Hunt Valley, Maryland. It is a big fund raiser for GBMC.


We relaxed at Founders Hill before heading down to The Meadows to visit other friends who had a great tailgate. This is our third Legacy Chase. It is one of my favorite events of the year. E. is always a great sport and he looks forward to the Classic Catering tent as much as I look forward to the horses and people watching. My sorority sister even came all the way from Wisconsin to join us.





The food is always amazing. We LOVE their crab cakes.




Our great friends Kevin and Carla met us in the tent. Kev was in our wedding.


We did manage to watch a few races up on Founders Hill. Major Price was leading the entire third race (I think) and lost at the very last minute. I was two gins in at this point.




This past Saturday was far too hot for my taste. I was hoping for 65 and chilly. It was over 90 degrees. I think this darling gentleman, John Fetzer, rocked his seersucker shorts. He is no relation to Mom's former boss, John Fetzer. We discussed this at length.


This precious King Charles spaniel named Lilly was such a love bug.


After lunch we headed down to The Meadows to enjoy the company of great friends and more cocktails.


Our friends host this tailgate every year. This one, although hotter than blue blazes, was hands down fantastic. There were bands, beer and wine tastings in the meadow too. We couldn't see much of the horses, but that was okay.





We introduced my AXO sister to bourbon for the first time. How great is this bar? Doubles of bourbon and gin!



We met new friends.




And laughed all afternoon long.



We tried to stay in the shade for a break from the hot sun. 



They even had an assortment of koozies to keep the beer cold.



This gorgeous woman is the mother of 21 year old twins!!!













My Momma's vintage purse.

Thanks to Larry and Alan at Classic Catering for spoiling us every year with tickets. It is the most fun weekend. Big thanks to Scott and Katie for hosting such a fun tailgate. And a special thanks to Petey who came all the way from Wisco to hang out with us for the weekend.
















2 comments:

Bumby Scott said...

Nelle, Fun post. Love the young man with the Green Bow . I was going to ask who the winners were. Then I remembered the Gin. :)

Nelle Somerville said...

Hi Bumby/ Thank you. I wish I had more sense to take a close up shot of our host's bow tie. It was a great horsey theme too! No clue who won. I was three gin's in by the end of the day. :)