Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Thompson Girls Bridal Shower in Chevy Chase


Lizzie and Nelle taken with Instagram
When I lived in DC I got involved in the youth program at Christ Church, Georgetown. For nearly ten years I was a Journey to Adulthood leader. J2A was a two year Epsicopal program that ended with a pilgrimage to a holy site after the second year. I, along with two other great volunteer leaders and supportive clergy, lead the first youth pilgrimage in 1998 with twenty teenagers to Holy Island (Lindisfarne)England. We studied St. Cuthbert. Traversed the sands to this tidal island very near Scotland. It was an incredible journey despite what you may think about teenagers. I was only ten years older than the oldest in the group and have stayed very close to many of my J2A youth members via Facebook and letters. Yes, real letters. Lizzie Thompson wrote me letters while she was away at college and it sealed our friendship for life. She bustled my wedding dress on 7-7-07!  She and her sister Katy are getting married within a year of each other. I celebrated their bridal shower at another J2A member's home. Hadley, along with her mother Heidi, hosted the gorgeous affair.

Me and Hadley

Guests met outside in the gazebo for blinis and conversation.



I was infatuated with the gorgeous chandelier in the gazebo! Hadley, I'm sure there is an awesome story about this piece. Post a comment and do tell!


Alison (pictured in pink) was the fourth J2A member in attendance. Her father was my boss and is the rector of Christ Church, Georgetown enjoying his first sabbatical in 20 years. Katy is giving little Margaret Grace a hug.


It was wonderful seeing Ali and Margaret's mother Fran. She calls us every year on our wedding anniversary. Stuart married us in Michigan five years ago this July.

Katy and Alison

Hadley and Heidi made all of the food themselves (Heidi mostly) and set everything up so beautifully using their family heirlooms.


The poached salmon was the star of the buffet!


The cous cous salad was so light and a perfect compliment to the fish. I love that they used this gorgeous cut crystal bowl as a serving dish.



Lizzie and Katy


Lizzie, Hadley and Katy gather as guests were welcomed in for lunch.




Genevieve is one of Lizzie's oldest friends who is also rarely far from her camera.










It was such a gorgeous party and we look forward to celebrating with all of the Thompson's!!!

Dearest Lizzo and KT, Thank you for including me in so many of your life events. I love you both and am so happy to celebrate this special time. Hadley, Ali and all my youth groupies...you have no idea how important you are to me. Wishing you many moments of quiet and tranquility. Just remember our time crossing the sands and all will be well. xoxo

4 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

This has nothing to do with your post- but I keep meaning to ask you if you realize that we once knew each other in real life? I doubt you remember but I believe you were one of my JLW Provisional advisors. Or at least that's when we met- my Provisional year- via Amy McNamara probably. So that was what...nine or 10 years ago? A long time. But I've just been dying to tell you that we have that connection- albeit a very long time ago.

KK

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

What a lovely shower...you captured each detail perfectly per usual! xx

Peter J. Howe said...

What a beautifully done, lovely party! Thanks for sharing the pictures and for being so nice to my beloved, fabulous, outstanding, awesome nieces. So fun to see so many happy faces. Thank you!! Uncle P.J.

Peter J. Howe said...

What a beautifully done, lovely party! Thanks for sharing the pictures and for being so nice to my beloved, fabulous, outstanding, awesome nieces. So fun to see so many happy faces. Thank you!! Uncle P.J.