Saturday, March 1, 2014

A Partridge in a Pear Tree Birthday Love


Anyone who knows me, knows I love to take pictures. I only bought an iPhone so I could finally use Instagram. Over my sad-foot-surgery holiday I did my best to put our tree up before I went under. This little grouping of partridges made me realize I had a fantastic Partridge Family all of a sudden. My buddy Marge made a great statement recently that back in the pre-Instagram days no one would take a photo of their meal, have it developed and save it in an album. So funny. So true. Although, I wish to I had taken a camera to my 25th birthday dinner at Citronelle in DC. Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, they make the mundane and small details in life seem okay to document. Great for an over sharer like me, annoying for anyone who could care less to see another brunch or sunset shot. For the latter, you can stop reading now. Anyone else who cares about the little details and great gift giving...keep reading.


So my darling little partridge collection for our tree started our first year together. I'm sure I've written about it on this blog before, surely. I knew it...read here.


It's grown a ton since I first wrote about it in 2010.


Figs and pears are our jam, literally at Stone Hill Farm, and this partridge thing became hilarious after the fact that Eric didn't even remember saying his favorite song was the Twelve Days of Christmas.






Mom gave us this cute partridge this Christmas. I mean, it's fun to hunt for part of a collection but I love getting such thoughtful gifts. 


Okay, so flash back to December. Cold, mid-December two full weeks after my foot surgery. I hadn't been out of the house in what felt like forever. E. took me on a date to see The Hunger Games fire whatever in Harbor East. We walked past the window decorations and I FREAKED when I saw this "Twelve Days of Christmas" display at City Sports. Naturally, I took a photo. It was the "Seven Swans a Swimming" Day of Christmas, the 7th Day. How appropriate for E. and me who love the number seven and married on 7-7-07. The "lords a leaping" are RAVENS players. Each ornament was hand knit. It was incredible.


I snapped a close up of the Partridge in a Pear Tree for Instagram and said "Want this partridge. Big Time."




Fast forward to my birthday three weeks ago. My dearest Nette came to town from Atlanta and I wanted to surprise her with a visit from our cute friend @WendyCinDC. We had a very small dinner at Woodberry Kitchen. Wendy pulled out a gift and insisted I open it at the table. I squeezed it and said something about hoping it was a Barbie. Isn't that what you wanted as a little girl? A new sparkly, fresh Barbie. Well, this blew new Barbie out of the water. Wendy, an avid follower of this blog and my Insta-feed, who, don't forget lives in DC, tracked down the Partridge in the Pear Tree at City Sports!!! She called the shop and they gave her the artist's name who made the ornaments. Turns out it was Sue from Lovely Yarns in Hampden where I took a knitting class three years ago. Wendy called Sue and said something along the lines of, I'm looking for the Partridge in a Pear tree from your City Sports window display in Harbor East. Sue then replied something like, Are you sure? I thought the partridge turned out kind of funny looking. Wendy then explained that it was for a friend who has a partridge collection named Nelle Somerville and could she buy the partridge. Sue then exclaimed, Nelle?! I know Nelle. I'll just give you the damn thing. Not only did Sue hook Wendy up with the most thoughtful gift of all time, but she wrapped the present and brought it to Woodberry Kitchen since Wendy couldn't get it before Lovely Yarns closed!!! I MEAN. Isn't that just the limit? 
Even Eric couldn't really follow the story because we were all squealing so loudly and I was just so overcome with JOY. So I pulled out my phone and showed the table the progression of photos to try to explain it all.



And that my friends is the story of the most thoughtful gift I have ever received! E. and I went to stop in at Lovely Yarns to see Sue last weekend and she was on vacation. We left her our fig preserves and pear chutney with thanks and love! 

Sue, I can't wait to squeeze your neck and thank you in person for such a lovely birthday surprise.

Wendy, I seriously cannot thank you enough for your dedication to blow my mind with this gift. Your gift is generosity of spirit. God given girlfriend. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

Nette, I love that you flew away from your baby girls to be with me for the best girls weekend ever. Thank you times a million. 

E. thanks for the gorgeous dinner, incredible birthday cake and fancy new sheets. You are my favorite.

Baltimore, you make me happy at every turn. Thank you for your small town everything and for the fact that everyone knows everyone and that this little exchanged happened because of you. I love you!

1 comment:

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

This is the cutest story (you do love your pictures) of a partridge in a pear tree and it even goes with your outfit! xx