Monday, October 27, 2014

N + K Egg Bake + Biscuits


The day after N + K's wedding we were invited to an Egg Bake at Nancy and Kristian's house, in Stone Hill. We had to say yes clearly just due to geographical closeness. I offered to make biscuits. 


I have been making a ton of these biscuits since our beach trip. They are so easy and take 12 minutes. You have to use self-rising flour. Most important element. I've stolen this recipe directly from Southern Living. It's from their May issue. I'm afraid I'll loose the magazine so I want to have it on the blog so I never lose it. I've added notes in bold. 

Photo: Brian Woodcock; Styling: Caroline M. Cunningham  

Lazy Biscuits

Swear off canned biscuits for good with this recipe for Lazy Biscuits. No rolling or cutting required with this easiest biscuit recipe ever.
Southern Living MAY 2014
  • Yield: Makes 14
  • Hands-on: 15 Minutes
  • Total: 25 Minutes

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups chilled buttermilk (COLDER THE BETTER)
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted (ONE STICK)
  • Parchment paper (MUST HAVE)
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted (GET BRUSH)

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 475°. Whisk together flour and sugar in a large bowl. (PUT RACK IN MIDDLE)
2. Stir together buttermilk and 1/2 cup melted butter in a small bowl. (Butter will clump.) Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Drop dough by level scoops, 1 inch apart, onto a parchment paper-lined jelly-roll pan. (Use a 2-inch cookie scoop.)
3. Bake at 475° for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with 2 Tbsp. melted butter, and serve.


The coolest trick of this recipe is the because the buttermilk is cold cold, the butter and buttermilk mixture creates what usually takes forever cutting cold butter into the flour for a "not lazy" buscuit. Freaking brilliant move Southern Living Magazine.


The mixture gets all clumpy, but this is a good sign.


Mix just until the wet and dry ingredients are incorporated.


Should just start pulling away from the bowl.


I use a giant ice cream scoop. Eric's grandmother's scoop, so it has special powers.


You can make big biscuits or little biscuits. I've tested both and they both take 12 minutes to get golden brown on the bottom.

 

They still look pretty blond after 12 minutes, so I flip them over to show off their sexy bottoms.





I had never heard of an Egg Bake. It's basically brunch casserole. Nancy's momma made one in the crock pot that was super easy and delicious. I put my egg bake section on my biscuit, added salsa from the Friday taco party and it was pure wedding brunch perfection.


They had Mom-made-muffins and the gorgeous jam that were the party favors. Their family did so much to make this weekend perfect. 


Guacamole should be an Egg Bake standard. 


The weather was perfection and the monarch butterflies crashed the party. 





Cheers!


Now laugh.


Nancy's fancy gold shoes.


Greatest sweatshirt ever. 


Kisses for the bride.



Thanks for taking care of E while I was away this weekend N+K. 

No comments: