Saturday, July 23, 2011

Bay Ridge, Bay Ridge, Bay Ridge


Remember how cool and humidity free Memorial Day Weekend was here in the Mid-Atlantic this year? Yesterday was 106 degrees at 6 p.m. in Baltimore. I'd like to take a trip backwards to remember that fun weekend (and finally post these great shots). We needed a reconnection with our sweet friends in Annapolis and spent an afternoon with them at Bay Ridge.


The Overmyer's were my family away from family as I was "growing up" in DC. Melissa was my Bible study leader. I learned so much about the Bible from her and love her like a sister. They invited me on a wonderful 12 day vacation in Hawaii over Christmas in 2004. I met the girls when May was 5, Lilly 7 and Emma was 9. They were little. It's amazing to see how much they have all changed in three short years. Daisy is now 4 and Emma is going to college next year. I love this photo. It is so Christmas card worthy as everyone is smiling and actually looking at the camera. It represents them perfectly.


Annapolis is a hamlet for all who visit. I have to do a post on their home. Dale is an architect and Melissa was a graphic designer in her work life. Their home was featured in Coastal Living a few years ago. It is easiest explained as Hawaiian Shabby Chic. One bedroom has a hula shirt canopy bed, and her mother's pink gingham nightgown acts as the curtain. There is a hammock on their wrap around porch, updated bright linoleum floor tiles in the bathrooms and kitchen, and a fabulous bay window with dozens of vintage bark cloth pillows. It is simply the coolest home. But even better is that it is absolutely so relaxing and the furthest thing from stuffy. We even made up a song about Bay Ridge.


The Bay House also has a ton of surf, skate and wake boards, boats, skis, creeks, pools and beaches to choose from. Melissa hosted a wedding shower retreat where many of my girlfriends stayed the night for the best slumber party of my adult life. They also have a working disco ball in their living room and encourage you to push back the bamboo sofas and hula hoop inside! I know. They are just the MOST FUN EVER!!!


We were greeted with high pitched screams when we drove into the weeping willow draped driveway this lovely day in May. 


Daisy didn't remember us. She was wading around half naked at our engagement party in Georgetown, that Melissa and Dale also hosted for us, four years ago. 



It was wonderful to be around their energy and athletic spirit. They are so active and love to play together. Dale taught me how to surf in Hawaii and knows I'm a bit scare-dee cat when it comes to speed. He was the coach I referenced in the Asbury post about Oahu. He's been patiently trying to teach me to wind surf and surf surf for years. Thanks Dale!


We spent the afternoon on the Bay tubing and having fun on the jet ski.



We watched the fun from the dock.


Got our first sun of the season.


Enjoyed great smiles and laughter.


Oh how I adore and love these girls to pieces.

E. took the lead and we headed out for a fun and fast ride.


I have issues with not being in control and was convinced he would throw momma from the train.


I must have told him to slow down seventy times. It was a blast and I should have just hushed my face. He's an excellent captain.


It was such a treat enjoying time not working or commuting. We are really trying to take more time to relax this summer.


May May showed off her paddling skills.


Dale was the expert while Mel was learning how to text on her flip phone.


I think Daisy was chanting, "Faster, Faster."



A Bay Ridge tradition to kick off the summer is to jump from the top of the dock sign. The dock master was not too psyched about this act of bravery. E. and I headed into Annapolis after our quick afternoon visit to enjoy our first date night in weeks. We ate at Lemongrass outside on the coolest evening. We walked down the street to have dessert and coffee at 49 West. We've spent many an afternoon cuddled up with our travel Scrabble board and coffee at this cool spot. We lucked out and got an outdoor patio seat and enjoyed the people watching. 

I'm so thankful that we had such a nice visit with you wonderful O's. I found something for you in Asbury Park that fits perfectly at the Bay House. Can't wait for another visit soon. Love all of your faces to bits and bits. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beautiful! I have been so neglectful of blogging and reading lately, and I am trying to catch up! I have missed you :)

You were in my neck of the woods! Isn't Bay Ridge great? Looks like you have a wonderful time! xoxo