Thursday, July 11, 2013

Summer Squash Saute from @5seedsfarm and Garden Memories


This summer we joined our first ever CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) with Five Seeds Farm. We met Denzel at the firepit with his two oldest kids at Woodberry Kitchen a few years ago. We love him and his family. Watch the video below to hear our friend talk about the farm




viewer.php.jpg

This was our half share box on week TWO. How amazing is this? I should have fried the squash blossoms with goat cheese that night. Live and learn. Those puppies are deadly delicate. I remember Restaurant Nora's stuffed squash blossoms. Be still my heart. We've made tons of frittata's and more salad that I thought one person could eat. It is the best money I've ever spent.
viewer.php.jpg


This meal was from our share the first week. This "mostly" egg white frittata with zucchini, squash, goat cheese, chives, teeny tiny potatoes and scallions are what summer tastes like to me. The cabbage was a gift from our wonderful neighbors, Guy and Pam, from the garden NEXT DOOR. I roasted the cabbage in the oven with Parmesan cheese for approximately 20 minutes at 350. Just drizzle a little olive oil, salt and the parm. It is one of the best ways I've ever had cabbage. Thank you Kimberly Tayloe for that fantastic idea. It has the flavor of great Brussels sprouts that are still crunchy.

viewer.php.jpg


One of the best parts about our CSA has to be Union Graze. It's a little farmers market in the courtyard at Union Mill, behind Artifact Coffee where Five Seeds Farm has our CSA pick up, as well as other multitudes of items for sale from the farm. Every Friday from 4:30-8:00 pm there is live music, and vendors selling eggs, crafts, hard cider and food. They even have quilts to lay out on the hill to have a picnic for the guests use. We look forward to it each week and are a little bummed we will miss a week when we are on vacation. 


So this week I made one of my mother's go to summer squash dishes. It reminds me of her so much and nights at Lake Michigan. It's so easy I'm a little embarrassed but hey, don't you want something easy for the summer. First, use your favorite cheese. We had some awesome Gruyere from The Wine Source. Use a box grater for your cheese. There is something rewarding about shredding your own cheese. If you are making tons of something I get using the Cuisinart but truly I find a simple joy in pulling out the ole box grater.


Summer Squash Saute

Saute your Five Seeds Farm scallions that were nearly dead and gone in the fridge because you work too damn hard to cook during the middle of the week in a teaspoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter. Momma used butter, so I will use butter, thank you Jesus. Add sliced squash and zucchini and cook on high for 5 minutes, turning to brown each squash disk. Don't crowd the pan or they won't have a golden color. Use approximately a half a cup of shredded cheese and sprinkle on top. Mom always used cheddar but I tried the gruyere and it is money. Broil on high for 5 minutes, watching it carefully with the oven door propped so you won't burn the $#!& out of your oh so delicate cheese.


I roasted a skinless breast of chicken with lemon pepper and rosemary to have a nice, low carb meal at the same time. The lemon pepper makes the most awesome pan jus. Just use olive oil, salt and pepper, lemon pepper and start on the stove top to brown each side, and finish in the same over for 19 minutes.


Voila. Your fine looking summer squash.


Thank you Denzel and Five Seeds Farm for taking the risk to follow your dreams and make them a reality. I have the most fond memories of my mother (KTPunksMommy) taking my brother Mac and I to the "garden" when we were little. She rented a plot of land in Kalamazoo, Michigan that was owned and operated by Western Michigan University. We lived on a wooded hill so most of our neighbors also had plots. It was the social thing to do in our hood. Our job was to fill up the 20-30 gallon milk jugs with water from the hose and put them in the station wagon. We'd hop in the back seat, no car seats or seat belts, and would then be in charge of watering once at the garden. It was the most heavenly place and I truly am so thankful that we can now taste the memories of my childhood with the food you are providing for me and Eric. I'll never forget tasting Mom's first cherry tomato from the garden. It was still warm from the sun and burst open like candy in my mouth! Momma, you have no idea how much I love you and these memories are making me tear up a little just thinking of those simple, happy times at the garden. I've always wanted to do  a painting of the milk gallons filled at the back of the stay-wag with their different colored tops. I can see them as if the car were parked in the garage this very minute. Love your face.

1 comment:

Kaye Collins said...

Brings back memories. I love you! Mom